AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Info from contacts inside eastern Ukraine
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Alberta Farmer
Posted 3/2/2014 15:42 (#3727596)
Subject: Info from contacts inside eastern Ukraine

West Central Alberta Coldest, wettest edge

My wife is from Russia, Rostov On Don, very close to Ukraine, and has relatives in Eastern Ukraine.  Her father just returned from visiting his brother in Ukraine a week ago, there was no sign of anything at that time, border travel was normal.  Communication was cut off for a couple of days, but as of today, they are able to phone and email between Russia and Ukraine again.  His brother said there is still nothing unusual in that part of the Ukraine.

The brother considers himself a Russian, just happened to be working in Ukraine when the division was drawn up when the USSR broke up.  Most people in Eastern Ukraine apparently feel the same way, being annexed by Russia would be welcomed, they consider themselves Russians, not Ukrainians.  Likely a biased view of the situation, but take it for what it is worth.  This uncle is also still an ardent card carrying member of the Communist......   wishing for a return to the good old days.......
Supposedly local governments in Crimea readily raised the Russian flag of their own free will when the troops came in.

There is no precedence for the eastern parts of Ukraine to be part of Ukraine, and Crimea was "given" to the autonomous republic of Ukraine as a gift, it had been part of Russia historically.

I've only sort of been there, I think we accidentally crossed the border out in the countryside once, and didn't stick around long enough to find out.  I will say that the reports of deep black rich soil in the black sea region are absolutely true.  Watched them stripping about 100 acres of river bottom black top soil for a shopping mall.  At least 3 feet deep and completely mellow.  The crops they grow with very little inputs or rain, and high heat are unbelievable to me.  Potential is even more unbelievable.

If anyone is interested, I will update if we learn more. 

Edited by Alberta Farmer 3/2/2014 17:09
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)