AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

some new way of shipping
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

railroader
Posted 1/20/2014 06:51 (#3618737)
Subject: some new way of shipping

I keep telling my young co-workers that there are many young geniuses working very hard figuring some alternative way of moving freight. Maybe something like small sealed containers in a pipe or in a canal. I don't know what it will be, but if we look at technology that was developed over the last 20 years and project 20 years into the future, that something will come that I can't even dream up. IMO I do not see major expansion in shipping by rail because of environmental issues such as coal tar pitch in the wood ties and possible fly ash residue in concrete ties. Intermodal trains seems to be highest priority freight right noe. I understand that 2 of the major railroads are looking at liquified natural gas as their fuel of the future, maybe in 5 years. Whoever that was to come up with a way to move grain long distances faster, cheaper, safer and with less impact on environment, could certainly become instantly wealthy. Getting someone to do your heavy thinking for you is not really all that hard. When my oldest son was in college, he told me of some manufacturing company that came to his engineering class. They had a manufacturing problem that they needed solved. They had a little contest among these engineering students and I think they paid 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place with lesser prizes paid to anyone who participated. For a small amount of prize money, they not only had 1st, 2nd and 3rd place ideas, they had ideas from the whole class. Thet also had a list of possible new hires. Now the problem was not near as big as this one, but it was solved and some young students had a litle extra pocket money.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)