AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Buying land
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

GregChuckles
Posted 7/1/2013 22:34 (#3186298)
Subject: Buying land

A lot of successful farmers and ranchers on this board, and you guys have helped me out many times before. I'm a young guy wanting to get started in ranching and have a small cow calf herd. I rent all my pasture and buy most of my hay. I've been looking to buy a place to be able to run more cattle, call home, and also farm and put up some of my feedstuffs. The opportunities have been few and far between around here and land costs are absolutely crazy. The few chances I've had we're at auctions where I didn't s stand a chance. What I'd really like to find is a smaller parcel, say 80 acres or so to fall graze and winter the cows instead of feeding and calving them out in my 3 acre lot that gets really ugly in the spring. But those small lots never seem to come about and if they do some rich towns person with a few horses usually comes in and pays 3 times what I'd be willing to do.

Enough of my rant, but I've never purchased land before. There is a ranch coming up for sale that is one lot close to 700 acres with about 250 tillable. Nice place, probably a little too nice, but it fits like a glove. I just seen it advertised and don't know how much they are asking, but I'm sure it is a lot. Where do I turn? How can I make this possible?

Might seem like dumb questions but just wondering how one like me can get started in this game. I don't have much equity nor do I have my parents money or equity to borrow off of.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)