AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Extending my grazing days
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

RCD
Posted 12/23/2012 13:33 (#2770638)
Subject: Extending my grazing days

West Central Iowa
Recently a lot of articles in farm publications have referenced different "low cost" grazing systems that include bale grazing, swath grazing, stockpiling grazing, etc. I already implement rotational grazing from May- Oct and can carry about 1 pair/acre, then turn the cows out on cornstalks. I figure the cows graze about 7 months out of the year.

I live in Iowa so land is not necessarily what I would call cheap, but how could I implement other crops/rotations to allow cattle to graze more days out of the year. In my situation I would be converting row crop acres to other forages. I really don't want to hear that it is impossible because land prices and grain prices here are too high. I want a creative discussions on how to make it possible and profitable. For example, stockpiling grass for winter grazing could be possible but I would be producing a two cut/graze brome crop on land that is capable of of 4 premium alfalfa crops. Even though the example I gave would be hard to pencil out......how about perennial rye, triticale, or other crops that could be grazed early (before my improved alfalfa pastures are ready), be cut/grazed a time or two in the summer depending on weather & production, then grazed later in the fall to prevent bloat issues associated with alfalfa or other improved pastures.

What are people seeing in areas where summer carrying capacities are around 1 acre/pair to extend grazing days for the herd profitably?

Edited by RCD 12/23/2012 13:34
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)