AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

looking for advice and hopefully a few pics
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

ih1086
Posted 12/22/2012 23:04 (#2769540)
Subject: looking for advice and hopefully a few pics

Grawn Michigan

We are new to the cow calf world.  This summer we have picked up 13 cows.  I bought 5 from one neighbor that range from 2 to 7 yrs old and were open.  I bought 2 from another neighbor that are 3 to 4 yrs old that were bred, and 6 from a sale barn that are my guess are 4 to 8 yrs old and were bred.  Vet preg checked all cows and all are bred.  She said my due dates were mid feb to mid april.  We have a borrowed bull from a neighbor that was going to be burger but he got another go round.  He is around 9 yrs old but did breed the 5 open cows.  He is still in the pen/pasture with them.  I have them on grassy late made hay from 2011 that was stored indoors a few corn stalk bales, and a tub of 20% crystalix.  They seem to be in good condition on this.  I would like next year to close up my calving window and have it closer to end of march first of april.  We will take these calves and finish them out and sell them for freezer beef in the fall of 2014.  What things should I do to help get these cows to breed back closer to ech other.  Also are there any other things i should be looking out for or pitfalls to avoid as i go foward.  Thanks for any advice.  Ill try a few pics now.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)