AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hand therapy is basically done
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

DC swIL
Posted 11/18/2012 09:06 (#2703567)
Subject: Hand therapy is basically done

I went to the doctor this week and we discussed my hand at length. Two of the three fingers that were injured are no longer showing improvement from therapy. His initial response was another capsulotomy surgery. I told him we've already done that twice and I didn't see the point in doing it again. He brought up some other surgical options; rebreaking the finger, exploring the tendons in the palm, but the risks outweighed the potential for gain in both cases. So, we both agreed that no more surgeries are necessary.

My injured fingers total range of movement is currently 60-80% of normal. My grip strength is at 56#, it was likely 100 prior to the accident. I will stop therapy except for going the first of December and the first of January for measurements. If those measurements do not decline I will be all done. If they do decline, its back to the doctor. I am still doing some at home exercises. I hope to get the grip strength over 60#. I can do most jobs on the farm, some have to be done differently and the phone gets used for repairs more than it used to.

So tomorrow morning at 8:00 am I will be at home and not getting my hand wrapped and manipulated. That is a good thing. I have been going to Crossroads Rehabilitation Services 2-3 times a week for 15 months. It has been a real time eater. I estimate about 150 visits. The care I recieved there was excellent. Sarah Nelson, a certified hand therapist is the best. She pushed me hard and made sweat pop and tears form on many occasions. If you are in southern Illinois and hurt your hand she is the one you want.

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. David
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)