AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New to me Planter and questions...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

SDhusker
Posted 11/8/2012 20:26 (#2686478)
Subject: New to me Planter and questions...

Gettysburg, SD
Bought a new to me 2002 Kinze 3600, 12 row, 30" planter a couple weeks ago. The frame was very good, no cracks or welds, and planter units were straight.... 2, 200 gal liquid tanks, john blue pump, and it is a center pivot turn planter.

I have stated the tear down process, and i am basically going to rebuild the whole thing. It had Martin C125 floating row cleaners, but measured 10.5 - 11 inches, ordered all new wheels, depth bands, bearings and bushings to rebuild them.

ordered new discs, parallel linkage bushings, new idlers, new chains, new closing wheel arms and bushings, seed tube guards, seed tubes, gauge wheel bearings, and drag chains from Shoup.

Ordered new Thompson Closing wheels T.x3 and toe shims from Exapta. RID gauge wheels from Martin also.

Ordered a new redball system and totally tubular system from Abner sales in Benson Mn.

oh, and seed rebounders from schaffert's.

Lots of work i know, but i dont want breakdowns... Have a full time job at elevator and have limited time, let alone waiting to get parts for an in-season breakdown. Time in the winter, heated shop... rebuild it!!

now for the questions.... Previous owner did not shim opening discs right, and where the seed tube guard attaches, the bottom 3/4" of shank is wore off. any body seen this?? good ideas on fix? It has wore up to the bottom hole to attach guards, and i need to figure out how to make a fix, because the bottom hole is gone and i can't secure the guards.

Also thinking of going to precision v-sets. Finger units are pretty well shot, and I need bean meters... figure that will cost me around 4000 and vsets would be 6500, so only 2500 more, is it worth it?

I am planning on pulling this with a CIH Puma 140. Just played with my old 8 row, so i dont expect issues, but second guessing my self a little.

Also wondering if anyone has tried the packing wheels from yetter... the ones that are spring loaded and look like a case ih packing wheel behind the row unit... wonder if they may not be better than the drag chains... about 15 years continuos no-till into a corn bean rotation... rolling hills, not much wet ground..

So, to conclude, what should I change? Probably will change out unit drive sprockets and bearings while I am at it... But am I missing something??? bought the planter right, 19000, figured a dealer would get me for 35 - 40000, so i decided to spend extra money on making it the way i wanted it, but looking for advice from guys with more experience than I have....

TIA!!
Travis
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)