AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Soybean row widths and variety
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

eddie
Posted 6/12/2006 15:07 (#18972)
Subject: Soybean row widths and variety

More thoughts to ponder on the soybean row width question below. If I take a single soy variety and plant 7.5", 15", and 30" rows all at 160,000 spa. What factors are going to influence yield, as the genetics issue has been eliminated. I have the exact same number of plants on the exact same surface are. Say the plant is a short, thin variety which doesn't canopy the wide rows, but I still have the same number of pod producing plants in the 30" row as the 7.5" row. In the wide rows a bushy bean with extensive lateral branching will canopy the row, but the same plant in 7.5" rows should also have room for lateral branching. I've always been under the impression I need a tall, bushy bean for 30" beans, but if I have a high yielder in my environment, it SHOULD yield the same no matter where the seed is dropped shouldn't it? If there is such a push for wider soybean rows, how come aren't there many varieties available that will lateral branch and grow tall and bushy to canopy the rows? Do the seed companies not see a need or do they want you to need to plant high populations to buy more seed? Any thoughts?

Eddie
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)