AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Selling hay to organic dairy
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

John e.c.MI
Posted 7/14/2012 12:39 (#2484598)
Subject: Selling hay to organic dairy

Croswell, Michigan
I have been selling a little straw off and on to a guy that has an organic dairy. He always tells me what a hard time he has finding feed for his dairy at any price. I have some tougher ground that will be coming out of CRP in a few years. He wants me to start getting it certified now so that it would be certified organic when the CRP contract expires and grow hay for him. I would like to see this ground stay in some kind of forage production and I have a shed on that farm to store it in so it would be a good fit for me. Is this an opportunity or a headache in the making? I see guys that never fertilize grass here and their yeilds are next to nothing comparted to some of our grass hay that gets 40-50 units of N every spring. How could I get respectable yeilds off of this groung with out mining it? I don't want to stick it to him but should there be any premium on this over market on this hay? After all he is getting a premium for his product. I also just purchased a small parcel that had been intended for developement and has not been farmed in years. Unless I get an adjoing parcel in the future, my hands are tied as far as tiling it so forage might be the best opportunity on that ground for a while and I could maybe start next year.

Edited by John e.c.MI 7/14/2012 12:40
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)