AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Side Job / "Real Job" before farming...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

CentralILFarmer
Posted 5/19/2012 23:21 (#2389467)
Subject: Side Job / "Real Job" before farming...

ECIL
Hey guys I am a 21 year old with 2 more years of college left. All I want to do is farm, the opportunity is more than likely there for me, but dad wont be able to let me do too much for a few years. He (and you guys after asking a while back, and reading other threads) suggest I get a off farm job for a few years, then start farming. I am OK with that, I just do not know what that job would be.

Our farm consists of 2 brothers. My dad and an uncle obviously. I do not expect them or want them to give me anything up until they are ready to retire. I will be the fifth generation. Both of them want me to go on and continue our operation. I am farming a bit now, but not near enough for a full time living. Our operation does not do our own spraying and I see that as a good opportunity as to getting myself into the farm.

Anyway, what off farm job do you guys suggest? I am getting a degree in farm management; minor crop sci. No, I do not want to be a farm manager. My opinion of farm managers corresponds with most of you guys... I am not a big fan. The only reason I have chosen this major is because I feel our farm is somewhat lacking in the "management" side.... I feel that as a younger guy I could help them when it comes to management. Precision AG interests me a lot. That being said my dad keeps telling me that I should get a off farm job for at least 2 years, what do you guys suggest? NOTHING interests me other than farming. He has encouraged me once college is out to jump into the "cash rent game" along with my "real job" (his terms) which I am all for, but I am not about to attempt to steal ground from good farmers. I just don't know what career I could do for a few years until he can afford to let me farm full time.. help me out!

Thanks!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)