AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Queston for mapping experts
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

dloc
Posted 9/14/2007 12:10 (#203557)
Subject: Queston for mapping experts

The Iowa LIDAR mapping project (http://www.iowadnr.com/mapping/lidar/) has an accuracy of +/- 8”. The Iowa DOT GPS project will provide a signal that is +/- 2 cm (or +/- 0.79”). The accuracy of the LIDAR data represents the additive effects of GPS error, soil tillage operations which create a less than smooth field surface, inherrent LIDAR error, etc. If I drove around the road ringing a section of land to create an accurate peripheral boundary map (i.e., +/- 2 cm), could I overlay the LIDAR data on top of the GPS base to create a highly accurate DEM map?

Around here with slops <<2%, soil loss equations are less than useful because one doesn’t lose soil from fields, rain storms only re-distribute it to other parts of the field – with one exception, overland flow of water into open tile intakes. Water flowing rapidly down a long gentle grade can still pick up quite a load of sediment. Am involved in a watershed project and would like to see them model that open intake flow. Hence the need for highly accurate DEM data.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)