AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

diagnostic tools for cummins engine
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

ndjw0714
Posted 7/10/2011 23:55 (#1857752)
Subject: diagnostic tools for cummins engine

nc north dakota
The check engine light comes and goes on the trucks. one is an 05 and other is 08, both with the cummins isx. i want to purchase an otc code reader and would like a few opinions. The snap-on guy and my local parts store have the same story, one tool is around 500 dollars and the other that will do more than just read/clear codes is 1500 dollars. I feel that the one that only reads and clears codes will work for what i want to do. So, for those of you that are familiar with these otc tools, is the more expensive diagnostic tool worth it?

what i expect out of the tool is to be able to find out why the check engine/abs light is on. Then determine if it is something that I want to fix in my little shop or take the truck to a heavy duty repair shop. I recently have had both trucks to wallworks in fargo,one i knew needed alot of work but the older truck was a total surprise on what was repaired. Now i'm wishing I would have tried to repair both in my shop. especially since the check engine light has come back on on both within 250-500 miles.

This electronic "bs" sounds like a big hassle, but haven't had to get a tow yet.....knock on wood. My 3406 and NTC weren't that old when they've been pulled home a few times .

TIA
Bret
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)