AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Southern Plains Cotton
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

farmerbyron
Posted 6/18/2011 18:50 (#1824481)
Subject: Southern Plains Cotton

Oklahoma
It sounds like the TX cotton crop is in serious peril including irrigated. We have only had cotton in the ground for 2-3 weeks and the only reason it got planted then was a bizarre 6 inch rain that came one night. Most is up with good stands but it is hurting with the 100+ temps and 30+mph winds that are blowing day and night. Subsoil moisture is still there but we need a weather pattern change for us to have any hope.

I am just curious in what the irrigated cotton in TX looks like as I would imagine even irrigation can not help much when the weather is this apocalyptic. Another bizarre thing to me is the movement downward in the cotton market. I have always been under the impression that most of the US cotton comes from the Lubbock, TX area. Guess there is time for the market to react to the absence of cotton.

Looks to me like boys in the southeast and midwest are going to clean up this go around with us southern plains guys just trying to hang on. We are novice cotton farmers and really only trying it due to the price and the dry weather tolerance of cotton. Our wheat only managed about 25bpa on the avg. better than most but still not enough to pay inputs nowadays. I don't know how you west OK and TX boys are holding on as you are even worse off than we are. The hay situation is beyond serious, looks like cheap momma cows are going to be had soon, especially since I just paid $1350 for some this winter. Hope things turn around soon, for everyone out here in the dust.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)