AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Rain in July! Numerous ramifications.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Hay Wilson in TX
Posted 7/27/2010 09:51 (#1289992)
Subject: Rain in July! Numerous ramifications.

Little River, TX

Who would have thunked it.

Almost 7" of rain in July and more forecast. Average is 2".  normal is 0.002".

There may have been a wetter July sense 1950 but I did not see any in my records. Interestingly 2007's July was almost this wet. That is 327% of average for July and now over 100% , for the year to date. Maaaaybe rather than Global Warming we are in for Global Flooding.

Our little flooding is nothing like there is in the Midwest but it is a big deal to have flooding in a Texas July.
This not only has all the bar ditches running water but the water is more than the ditches can carry. Possibly an inch or two of water standing in my hay fields. That is one definition of a summer flood.

All the small grains are harvested, and a good bit of the milo is harvested. Most if not all the milo was sprayed with Roundup, I wonder what percentage of the unharvested milo is still standing.
I wonder what this will do to all the corn that is brown from the dry May & June.

What this will do is flood the local market with Hay. The pastures with their unaccustomed July moisture will be back putting on growth.
I suspect the cotton growers will be spraying "Stop Grow Juice" on their cotton. Other wise their plants will be full sized trees by harvest time.

This is one of the hazards of Scattered Rains. There are farms not that far from here that got maybe a half an inch of moisture.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)