AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

marketing club update
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

dave morgan
Posted 2/25/2007 01:08 (#110604)
Subject: marketing club update

Somerville, Indiana
Due to popular demand, we have decided to update our marketing page. All that are interested is welcome to attend, please do not disclose more than you feel comfortable with.

Yes, there is talk about prices not staying up. Here comes the question, what is UP? is $4 corn up, or is $5 corn? is 8 dollar beans up, or is 14 dollar beans considered up? maybe that is the question many are asking ourselves. I am doing my best to keep thinking what my cost/bushel is going to be, but hell that can vary more that the weight of a pregnant fat woman. I got into corn at 3.69 for 07 fall delivery after talking it over with my son, Ryan. We felt at that time it was a good place to begin. Now, we see that $4 was a good place to get in, wondering if next month just before the March report raises its head what the getting in price would seem to be.

Are we growing more corn this year? Not here. Corn after beans, corn after beans after wheat, and wheat after corn, some corn after corn depending on grass control last August when we were experiencing a wonderful rain twice a week that missed us in July. We got into 07 delivery beans at 7.38, 7.80, and as stated in corn pricing, 8.00 looks like the place to begin as of now. wonder how many of us can make it to $14 in beans?

We are thinking of pricing 70 bpa of corn and 30 bpa of beans as of now. if crops look good here and the market is still wanting to reward us with more money, I am not too good to take it. However, now is not the time to assume more risk that what we can afford whether it is in production of bushels contracted or protected by crop insurance. I tend to favor the production of bushels contracted as too many things can come up during a crop insurance report unless we go with a whole county GRIP or whatever they call it. Only this year, did I find out that I could reject the crop insurance adjuster for not being favorable to my operation. Mine isn't getting a second chance, as he is separating each and every field that we have, nothing to do with sections, 'permanent roads', or land owners. crop is all ours, one unit unless a mile apart which we have very little production that is a mile away. I thought we were so lucky when we got our rented ground in three sections close to home, but crop insurance suffers in that scenario. Thus the bushel contracted method of being sure to not overdo our positive outlook on production.

Also, be sure to remember, do not look back when trying to bring ourselves onward in our marketing ability. Past mistakes and months those mistakes were made in has absolutely nothing to do with may or may not happen this year. This is probably one of the most important rules we need to follow. Thanks to the honorable Tim Cooke from the great state of Ky for providing me with that information last year while I was contracting our 06 production for a dollar a bu under what we all should have gotten by simply doing nothing except crying about whether we should do something or not.

Go ahead, your turn. From all the phone calls and letters, I felt obligated to go first. Truly hope I didn't offend anyone, certainly don't mean to in any way. Just trying to help each other get the best prices that we can.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)