AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

My timing sucks!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Sprout
Posted 4/12/2010 07:43 (#1159581)
Subject: My timing sucks!

My computer had to be debugged yesterday and I lost all my favorite websites in the process. I couldn't wait to get up and running again so I could post a question about no-till but when I got on here it seems the subject is taboo. I'm gonna ask anyway because I consider you guys really good friends even though I haven't met any of you and your advice is always helpful to me.

My question: Has anyone in the northern 1/3 of the State of Iowa or similar climate done an actual side by side yield comparison of corn no tilled in soybean ground beside ground that was field cultivated, everything else being equal? I really would like to no till my corn at home this year but having just given up my 2nd job I don't need an income hit right now. The bean stubble was no till drilled last year and is very mellow. The ground is kinda rolling and does wash some during a heavier rain event. I spread all the dry fertilizer last Fall and my 8186 White planter does not have starter fertilizer capability at this time. I've tried this twice in the past with mediocre results but I think I learned some things in the meantime and the planter I had then was too light for best results. Should I just play it safe and field cult. it using the system that has done very well for me or do I need to leave my comfort zone to try and learn from it? Even my crop scout says most guys in this area who have tried it gave it up after a few years because of a 10-12 bushel yield cut.

Have a prosperous and SAFE Spring everyone!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)