AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

More stolen stuff strategies
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

CJDave
Posted 2/13/2010 09:26 (#1072596)
Subject: More stolen stuff strategies

Southeast Iowa
I'm a native Californian, and as such have learnd the hard way about thefts, especially from vehicles like service trucks and pickups. I have had complete service trucks stripped and have had my pickup cleaned out numerous times. In CA the rule is: "If you have it, they will steal it." In the bigger cities, theives patrol the blocks each hour and break into any vehicle that looks like it might have even ten cents in the ash tray. In the outlying areas, thieves are constanly preying on whoever has a shop that they can break into. NOW.....what I have found works best for vehicles AND shops is ALARM-ENTRAPMENT systems. That is to say that you set some kind of choice morsel in a spot where it APPEARS that you left it there by accident. Use something like a battery charger that looks good but is actually junk; or a little red tool box sitting innocently on a bench outside the shop; that HAS A SWITCH UNDER IT that sets off an air horn or a major burglar alarm. That usually short-circuits the burglarizing process. After my service truck was broken into repeatly, I DIDN'T FIX the lock on the LF cabinet door, but instead put a wall of removeable steel behind it. The irresistable unlocked outer door was the trip for a burglar alarm that, once latched in, would blow until all the truck batteries were depleted. That system paid dividends over and over. *** My wife and I moved to Iowa when we retired (against Guv-nah Arnold S's wishes and advice) and have brought our CA-bred security-consciousness with us. We are just amazed at how lax people are here in the Midwest, and we know that it's only a matter of time before that same element from south of the border; that so successfully preys on Californians; will make it's presence known, cleaning out farm shops instead of cutting meat for low wages like illegal mom and illegal pop do. You can't do much to protect a box of tools on a tractor sitting miles from home, but take steps now to build a good alarm-entrapment system for your farm shop.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)