AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Omaha Livestock Market
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

farmdude
Posted 9/23/2009 10:37 (#857147)
Subject: Omaha Livestock Market

We just had a story in the Omaha World herald about the Omaha Livestock Market. Im kind off old enough to remember it. My Dad an Grandfather sold thousands off head off hogs an cattle there back in the 50s,60s,into the seventies. Off course today the only thing remaining is the exchange building. The yards are all gone. As a young boy going down with my father an grandfather to see our cattle sell it was exciting. That big building those huge yards that was really something. We sold through the commission firm Bowles Livestock. Thats was just one off several commission firms selling cattle an hogs at the yards. For south Omaha the market an packing plants were like a town with in a town. The Big 4 packers Swift,Armour,Wilson an Cudahey bought the majority off the livestock through the yard with there packing plants near by. One event i will never forget down at the yards was the time i went down there with my Grandad an father. We were walking in the alleyways an I looked back an my grandad had collasped an was lying flat on the ground. He had passed away. Going to the hospital in the ambulance I thought my grandad would be alright. We went home with out my Dad saying a word. When we got home we went to my grandmas house an my Dad broke down big time. I knew then he was gone.

In all the years my father an grandfather sold livestock down there they always made it to Omaha to see them sell through about every kind off weather imaginable. Mind you we lived 130 miles from Omaha. Sorry for the long post but this recent news story sure brought back the memories for me. Anybody else have any stories abouth Omaha or other terminal markets. What an era it was
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)