AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

WAAS Changes?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 4/16/2006 19:35 (#5731)
Subject: WAAS Changes?

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
A few days ago, I posted concerns about WAAS changes. I learned from the return posts that the AOR-W satellite (122) has been moved quite significantly. In fact it appears that it used to live above the Atlantic Ocean and now lives above the Pacific Ocean. As I understand the reasoning this was done so that when a new satellite becomes fully operational that the U.S. wil have double coverage for safety in the aviation sector.

I use this satellite and had my first real field experience (after the move) Friday and Saturday. I was using my Raven 115 with Port A feeding a Raven Lightbar and Port B feeding my Insight running Direct Command control of the NH3 bar. For the most part things worked well but I experienced WAAS dropouts on a fairly regular basis on the North end of a field that I was working N/S. For about 10 rounds, I would lose WAAS when heading North. The GPS itself was fine so I was able to continue. I would reestablish WAAS correction on the return Southward Pass. This was about 90% predictable.

Saturday, I moved to another field and experienced some of the same problems. This time I lost WAAS correction (again not GPS) as I passed by my brother's dooryard. This time I could see some reason for the dropout due to the trees. In the field I was in on Friday, I could see no type of obstuction at all.

In checking the website, the Govt. indicates that some ground based folks on the East coast might expect some of these problems. I really didn't expect them here in S. Minnesota. I am very disappointed in what I have seen so far. I hope that there is some solution and that my problem was not related to the move.

I have used Beacon Correction in the past and was always satisifed with it. I may be forced to return to this source.

Anyone have any experiences or ideas?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)