AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

flat bottom poly tank drainout & cleaning ???
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

boog
Posted 6/29/2009 15:56 (#760518)
Subject: flat bottom poly tank drainout & cleaning ???

We have 4 1250 gal flat bottom poly tanks (green Schneiders) that we use for water that I can not get completely drain out. Problem is that the drain bung sits 9" above the bottom of the tank. Inside there is a 90ยบ elbow on the inside with a tube running towards the bottom of the tank. Tube is 45ed on the bottom but sits 3-4" above the bottom of the tank & once the water level reaches the top of the 45 angle the pump starts sucking air & loses it's prime. Pump sits below the bottom of the tanks.

The water in the bottom of the tanks is brackish & I need to get them drained out completely. For those of you who have tanks similiar to this, how do you flush out your tanks? I tried tilting the tanks towards the drain side but there is too much water in them to lift & I am afraid to try prying under them with a bar or with the forktruck as I am afraid of puncturing the bottom of the tank.

Has anyone put a smaller drain in a similiar tank at the bottom? If so what did you use? It would have to be something that the inner seal would have to be shoved thru the hole from the outside of the tank as the top opening is only about 12" in diameter.

Also, I have read previous posts where some have suggested using copper sulfate to kill any algae in the tanks & others have suggested bleach (Chlorox) or chloring tablets like used in swimming pools. I have a 5 gal bucket of chlorine tablets left over when we had a small pool for the grandkids & have considered throwing several of those in the tanks after I get them flushed out. My question is can the water with the copper sulfate or chlorine treated water be sprayed on crops or does it need to be drained & flushed? The fertilizer dealer we buy our chemicals from uses city water that is treated with chlorine for spraying so I wouldn't think the chlorine treated water would hurt but sure would hate to damage or kill a bunch of crops because of a too heavy of a chlorine concentration in the water or for it to cause our gylsophate to be ineffective. Other problem would be getting rid of that much treated water.

TIA,
boog
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)