AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Late alfalfa question (plus some pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 10/7/2014 21:19 (#4114553)
Subject: Late alfalfa question (plus some pics)

Driftless SW Wisconsin

I have some second year alfalfa/grass that I have been using for hay only.  I want to manage it for persistence rather than max yield.

The U of Wis alfalfa manual say to not cut it after early September to manage for persistence.  There is a good amount of regrowth right now.  This sloping ridge field did not get frosted yet but will certainly within the next week.

It seems like it has had plenty of time to regrow and store energy in the roots since last baled on Sept 2nd.

My question is would it hurt persistence to mow, bale and wrap this regrowth just a week ahead of a killing frost?

Or how about grazing the alfalfa/grass mix? I know I can carefully strip graze this without bloat problems. I hate to waste all this regrowth. Or is it not wasted if left under the winter snow and ice?

Obviously I am new to baling mostly alfalfa and appreciate any northern (WI) oriented advice or experience.

Jim

The alfalfa/grass mix in question is partially shown in the far RH of the first pic below. These cows and calves are grazing the same strip I've posted pics of before. Tremendous production from this rotational grazing strip this year. It has a fair amount of alfalfa in the mix so I think if I am careful I could graze the alfalfa hay on the far right in pic one and on the left in the second pic.

I'll add a pic of my best helper putting up a hot wire around the silage bag which is in my pasture.  Also a pic of some yearlings cleaning up grass behind my house. Trying to use up everything green.

Edited by Jim 10/7/2014 21:37

(IMG004 rotation 100614.jpg)

(IMG020 Checking regrowth ahead of 5th time rotational grazing this year 100414.jpg)

(IMG008 some yearlings cleaning up grass behind the house 100614.jpg)

(IMG007 my best helper putting hot wire around silage bag 100614.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG004 rotation 100614.jpg (170KB - 166 downloads)
Attachments IMG020 Checking regrowth ahead of 5th time rotational grazing this year 100414.jpg (130KB - 133 downloads)
Attachments IMG008 some yearlings cleaning up grass behind the house 100614.jpg (125KB - 164 downloads)
Attachments IMG007 my best helper putting hot wire around silage bag 100614.jpg (94KB - 138 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)