AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Question raised by Farm Bill discussion below.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Posted 2/9/2014 10:07 (#3675473)
Subject: Question raised by Farm Bill discussion below.

Death comes to us all. Life's but a walking shadow
After reading all the comments below, the consensus seems to be that nobody (at least those who respond here) are getting filthy rich from program payments or insurance payouts. This just begs the question, ok, so who is?
But another thought occurs to me. This question is for those here who work at trading with the idea of making some money, the serious traders among us, the commercial grain traders and the like. Now my biggest risks are poor spring planting weather, occasional summer drought (but usually not a total loss) and bad fall harvest weather (too much rain, early snow). But I usually manage to work through all this delays and get most if not all the crop, planted, grown and harvested.
My question is, " If I gave you $15-20 per acres per year could you guarantee a certain revenue?" I mean this really amounts to the same old argument. If I had known what my losses were going to be ten years ago and taken that dollar amount and put in some safe investment (whatever that is), & accumulated that sum I could easily self-insure today.
My conclusion after this little mental exercise is that something is wrong with the insurance system. Just like the health insurance system.

For what it's worth.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)