AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Keep row cropping or double the herd?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

southernblues
Posted 2/18/2013 23:06 (#2909396)
Subject: Keep row cropping or double the herd?

SE Kansas

I'm at a crossroads on what to do next.  I've been reading these boards for long time and really appreciate and respect the amount of time and thought in feedback that everyone gives.  At the end of the day it's for us to decide and be responsible for our own success (or failure) but the experiences, good and bad from the thousands of years of experience from those who post here is PRICELESS.  No ag college or book could do the same.

Which brings me to next question -

I am part time farmer with good income off the farm.  My job also allows me to be close and maintain the part time aspect but I've just got back into the family operation.  History is this, 4th generation farmer -- dad got big in mid 90s while I started my career out of town and my own family.  We moved back here 2 yrs ago and since the 90s dad went through emotional issues of losing his parents, brother, etc and sold everything except the original homestead (300 ac, 100 pasture/meadow and 200 tillable) and a 4020 JD tractor with loader.

It was always in my blood to row crop -- growing up that's what we did (no cows) and I knew I would do it.  However -- cattle was more friendly to my wife and kids (livestock in general, checking cows, working calves, etc) so I jumped in 6 months ago and now have 34 bred Hereford heifers.  

At same time we terminated the tillable lease with our renters on Oct 26 and by Nov 7 I had borrowed a 15' wheat drill, had a neighbor custom tillage the ground and sowed 150 acres of wheat in 3 days.....

So now my question is this -- I'm really interested in the Holistic/rotational grazing method and low input methods to sustain a profitable farming operation.  Row cropping is what I really know but I'm looking at 20-30k in equipment and dependant on fuel based inputs (very interested in cover crops but still requires diesel in the tractor and maint on the iron).

Do I invest the 20-30k (or less) in fencing off the tillable, seeding to pastures and doubling down on the cattle -- employing the rotational/mob/holistic methods with low inputs?  I feel this method would also "curb" the emotion (cause I know it will happen) to have to have more ground to row crop later on.

I guess I'm looking for those in similar situations, or you've thought this same thing...what factors drove you to do what you did?  We have plenty of water/ponds, need fence, no sheds (for hay and equipment), etc.  I've been looking at planters and feel like I'm shopping for new car...but at same time I'm asking for feedback (crop forum) and everyone is telling me I'll need to replace the engine, the doors, possibly the tires....just to get on par with a good machine.  Talk about killing the mood!   LOL

Maybe I'm telling myself what I should do but thought I would sound off first.

Thanks in advance -Travis

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)