AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Farmland Question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

SWMN Farmer
Posted 12/12/2012 11:21 (#2747627)
Subject: Farmland Question

Here's my situation. My parents are within 3-4 years of retiring and we are starting the transition process. We have agreed on transferring a few parcels this fall on a reasonable (not market thankfully) price. After this sale they have about 800 ac of owned land. My question is should I focus on purchasing this family owned stuff or purchase some new to us parcels mixed with the family parcels. I have a few non-farming siblings, and I don't think that they have any interest in coming back to farm (although I would certainly honor it). My first goal is to keep all of the family farm together, the second being to grow the land base to have the option of my siblings coming back to farm full-time with me. I've heard all these horror stories about families no longer talk to each other, because some wanted the money and the others couldn't come up with the money and it sold to someone else. I don't have really any opportunities to rent from neighbors and I don't care to go out and offer $450+ for rent on average ground. Sorry for the run-on paragraph, any advice would be helpful. Thanks. Happy 12/12/12/!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)