AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Caught neighbor stealing electricity
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Funacres
Posted 6/6/2011 01:47 (#1807157)
Subject: Caught neighbor stealing electricity

Texas

I bought a farm a couple years ago from this fellow and he "forgot" to mention that one of the pivot wells was wired to a meter panel across the fence on land he was keeping.  When I tried to pressure up the pivot for the first time, this well didn't have power.  I asked him about it and that's when he told me the scoop.  He said just make use of the existing setup since he didn't use it anyway.  So, last year I had the local power company stab a meter in the panel and started using the well.

Yesterday, I was checking my wells and for some unusual reason I decided to drive over and check the meter panel across the fence.  This was the first time I had been there since having the meter installed last year.  Well, guess what I found.  He had his well wired into and running on my dime.  I was stunned that he would even think about trying that, but obviously he thought he wouldn't get caught.

I tried calling him a couple of times and no answer.  His voice mail box was also full and I couldn't leave a message.  I went to his house and no one was home.  His well is still running and I'm starting to really get steamed.  So, I shut off his well and padlocked the control panel in the off position.  I figured he would get the message when he got home.

That was yesterday, and today about 3:00pm my pivot emails me that the pressure has dropped.  Now I'm about 40 miles away and occupied with some other errands.  I restarted the pivot and overrode the pressure until I could get there.  When I got there just before dark tonight, I found that the padlock was cut off and the power to my well was shut off with the cut-off padlock hanging on the power panel.  I suppose his idea is that if he can't get away with stealing my power, then I can't use the meter for my well that I have been paying the monthly horsepower charges on ($135.00).  

I know I have a cause against him, but tomorrow morning I will be calling the power company and having the meter pulled.  Then, I will be laying a new line to a new meter panel and paying a new install charge plus starting over again on the horsepower charges for the year.  I won't be bothering him with it since he didn't see any need to call me before stealing the electricity from me.  I'm not so much of a push over as I'm just not interested in stirring the pot and creating more hard feelings.  I suppose that I have been paying for his well for some time, maybe even last year, too.  What bothers me the most is the total lack of regard for my well being.  Clearly he is a selfish and cowardly crook. 

It's just sad to be that kind of a neighbor.  Calling the law and having him charged for theft won't change him or right the damage.  The odd thing about this is that just Friday I had told my insurance agent what a good neighbor I thought he was.  She didn't quite buy my belief and now, I guess I know why.  This isn't the first time, I'm sure.  Can you even imagine trying something like that on your neighbor?  Stunning.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)