AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Your recommendations for Hyd. cattle chute
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Russ In Idaho
Posted 3/20/2010 07:04 (#1127625)
Subject: Your recommendations for Hyd. cattle chute

I've always used Powder River chutes. The old ones were good chutes. I've got three old manuals. Two green ones, one older red one. They have held up great. Have them at corrals we only use once or twice a year for 2-3 hours a year. I bought a Heavy Duty manual one 2004' here at the dairy, I'm thinking. The first day we run bulls through it, it's first use, it sheared bolts, wore cogs out on head catch. I gave Powder River a good blessing! My vet that sold it to me darn near got hurt that day! They gave me parts for the first two years we owned it, but I really hate it, I don't trust it. I trust the older chutes I've got before this one.

Anyway my vets office has a Powder River 110/220 volt hyd. chute they brought out Wednesday to test bulls, it worked but I wouldn't own one. I felt my manual I hate was a better chute than this one. They also have a Moly Manufac. Silencer chute, it is really nice. The one vet is the only one that gets to use it, the others have to use the Powder River junk.

Is there any others I should look at, I've seen pictures of one built in Lakeview, Or. called Salt Creek Industries. Is it any good? I can't afford to get anybody hurt, let alone me. When you run 50 + bulls though a day you need a good chute or you want to run a couple hundred head of cows a day, it sure takes a toll on your shoulders. The hyd. chutes are a lot eaiser on the vets arms as well. In keeping track of working time, I really feel I can cut cattle working time 1/4 to 1/3 off, just by using a hyd. over manual chute.

Any thoughts at which ones to look at? Prices as well. The Powder River hyd. we tried Wed. as priced around $7,000 my vet said. I told him, I wouldn't give that much for it. He agreed it wasn't made to run that many cattle through it. It's sure a lot of money for a cattle chute, but what does a doctor bill cost any more for a broken arm or jaw? We use the chute here at the dairy a least once a week, maybe for 10 minutes or for a hour. In the fall it gets used quite a bit.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)