AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

mineral balance of soil??? any validity?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

CUBE
Posted 10/1/2009 21:41 (#867521)
Subject: mineral balance of soil??? any validity?

Dodge County, WI
A local guy came to the farm today to talk about an alternative way of agronomy, wherein instead of fertilizing for N,P,K, and liming for PH, there is an underlying set of factors to look at. He's talking about analyzing for Calcium and Magnesium levels. He's saying the ideal levels are 68%Cal, 12%Mag, 10%Hydrogen, and the rest is P,K, and other "stuff" because I'm not too into this right yet. According to him, Applying the Nitrogen we've been doing, has been taking out Calcium from the soil, and increasing the Magnesium levels, creating an imbalance. there was a article in the NoTill Farmer in June about a guy who was a big believer in using Gypsum to help with this. He had great success and used .4lbs/bushel to get 235bu. corn. Also made the soil structure better.

My question is this: Is this worth it? Any plan can work for at least one guy... Does anybody know someone who has tried this approach or is a believer in it? Talking to the guy it feels a little kooky or like he's selling me snake oil or something, but I want to keep an open mind. Any thoughts?

Ben
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)