AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Smart Phone Addiction...next few years?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Shane3507
Posted 8/31/2014 18:14 (#4049026)
Subject: Smart Phone Addiction...next few years?

SWC TX
Well I'm stuck on the rig for the next 12 hours running casing and cementing so I thought I would vent/inform.

Anyone else baffled by the addiction young people have to their smart phones?

I'm just as guilty I guess. I'm 25 yrs old and have a drilling rig I watch after 24 hrs a day, I constantly get texts and surveys via email from consultants, vendors, salesman and directional guys with questions problems and concerns. I feel like I'm glued to my phone I cannot be away from it for more than 15 mins without it blowing up. It's quite annoying, but its part of an extremely well paying job.

I look around at restaurants and public places and see young people and adults scrolling through miles and miles of news feeds on Fakebook, 1000s of pics on Instagram & playing silly games. Where does that get you in life? I've been there and done that (in college), eventually woke up and realized how much time I wasted on stuff that does nothing to better my life or another's life. I know people that go to bed looking at social media, wake up looking at it and continue at their jobs all day long, waiting for a 'like' or reaction to a post/pic.

Walking through Lowe's the other day, I cant even count how many employees I saw engaged on their personal smart phones while working. What the hell? I feel like I have to apologize for interrupting to ask for help finding something.

I called it in 2007, when Facebook begin letting anyone create an account (instead of just college kids), that it would leave to divorce and many failed relationships (the old flame reconnection, etc). I've already seen/heard of this happening numerous times in my podunky hometown. I read in a NY newspaper that 1/3 of divorces filed in 2011 had the word "facebok" in the filing. Check. If you think this is BS, you are deeply out of touch.

So in 2014, I'm gonna make another prediction....I believe over the next few to 5 years, many young teens and adults will evolve or morph into a vegetable type personality, so wrapped up in themselves and following celebrities on Instagram that they miss out on genuine relationships and conversations. If you're a young adult w/a go getter attitude and not distracted by all this BS, I'd say the future looks bright, as there will not be much competition.

Lastly, this is coming from a 25 year old, not some technological hating old man. Yea smart phones are great, but at what point does the bad outweigh the good?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)