AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Nice guys finish last???
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

TNalfalfa
Posted 3/21/2013 18:32 (#2981238)
Subject: Nice guys finish last???

Middle TN
To vent a little frustration and seek advice from those who have a knack for renting ground...

I've always tried to be the good guy in the neighborhood when it comes to renting ground. I don't go after ground someone else is renting. I don't go after ground that I know my neighbors are working on getting. I've turned down opportunities because a neighbor was renting the place. The ground I have I either bought, picked up from someone retiring, or wasn't being farmed (sometimes for good reason).

I've had my eye on my next door neighbor's place. He's raised cattle for years, but I noticed his cattle were gone a year ago. In my non-aggressive way, I asked him if he'd be interested in renting it to me. He stated that he was going to buy another herd. I asked him to let me know if he changed his mind. Last Fall, I ran into him again and reminded him that I would still be interested (as he still had no cows and he still doesn't).

Today I heard he rented it to a guy across the county line. Now I'm sitting here in regret wondering if being more aggressive and persistent would have made a difference. I feel a little like a high schooler who's girlfriend has broken up with him and he would like to know why. I have a town job and sometimes think farmers are reluctant to rent to us "part timers."

What are some tips/ thoughts from those of you who have a knack for renting ground without walking on your neighbors or annoying land owners?

Edited by TNalfalfa 3/21/2013 18:34
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)