AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

my Burdick heritage and the farm i loved as a kid (pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

B2NMO
Posted 4/19/2012 21:32 (#2344591)
Subject: my Burdick heritage and the farm i loved as a kid (pics)

NW Missouri
With all the great pics that have been shown on this form lately I thought I would try my hand (and a new scanner /printer) and show some pictures that go a long way back in my family heritage. I don't live at this farm (not even close as it is near Barron, WI) but as a kid it was all I dreamed about each summer when we would visit Grandpa and Grandma Burdick at this farm. It had been in my family for four generations when my uncle finally decided to get out of the dairy business in the late 70s.

The car picture is one I recently received from one of my cousins still living near Rice Lake. It is a picture of my great grandpa Frederick along with my grandpa (maybe 7 or 8 year old) and his siblings. Maybe 1905-1910 or so? I have got to believe it was their first car. He had it all shined up (look at the Barron flag ? a the back) .

The early farm picture was the first I had seen of the farm during the early days. I recognize it as the same house by the porch. The barn and windmill were gone long before I ever saw it. I am guessing the barn behind the car is the same barn as in the early farm picture .Most of my memories as a boy were of the farm during the sixties. The farm totaled 160 acres but to a boy 8 to 10 year old it seemed like it went forever. My cousins and I had many great times shooting the BB guns and farming under the porch.

Sadly, the entire farmstead, with the exception of the house and some of the pine windbreak, was destroyed in a fire during the eighties. I had an opport nity to go back and visit the farm last year during a family reunion. Once I saw how much it had changed I realized I did not want to go back again. My memories are what i wanted to remember. But that is how I got my love for farming and livestock.

(first car.jpg)

(burdick farm early.jpg)

(burdick farm 60s.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments first car.jpg (48KB - 126 downloads)
Attachments burdick farm early.jpg (49KB - 139 downloads)
Attachments burdick farm 60s.jpg (54KB - 114 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)