AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What about STORAGE???
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Ltfire
Posted 4/3/2007 09:56 (#130157)
Subject: What about STORAGE???

North Central Iowa

We can debate all day about whether or not the corn crop will make anywhere near the numbers that the USDA has saddled us with, but I'm not hearing much about storing all of this corn.  I really wonder about all of the 'cotton' ground I hear about down south that has been switched.  It's not like here in the midwest where we can get by with piling this grain on the ground while it's cool and getting 3-4 months of storage without too much spoiling.  Not to mention that we are a lot closer to having the storage for a crop anyway.  I used to work in the Mississippi Delta region (in the early 90's), and not only is the storage not there, I don't see how they can make piles and keep it for any length of time.  Maybe I'm missing something?  I do realize that the Mississippi river makes a nice conduit to the ports, but they aren't going to want all of the southern corn the same 2 weeks.  What's all of this going to do to prices?  When are people going to realize that corn laying around down south isn't going to be worth much of anything when it's spoiled?  Some of the co-ops up this way have found a lot of spoiled corn in their piles this spring, and it was caused by conditions that are pretty common through the south in the winter.  I'm willing to be educated.

Mike 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)