AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

More lease questions and a long rambling post
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

nar
Posted 3/7/2010 22:51 (#1109902)
Subject: More lease questions and a long rambling post

Wyoming
I have often seen you guys saying your state law says you need to be notified a few months before the end of the year if you are losing a farm. Does this only apply to verbal agreements? Not sure if Wyoming even has such a law.

Here is my situation. I rented this field from a rancher 2 years ago. First year I had half the pivot, I had beets that got hailed out in the spring, second crop corn that made about 120. She had the other half in hay and got less than 1 ton per acre because they won't fertilize. Then last year I got the entire thing, got devastating hail in august and corn made 40 bushel. Was really bad for me, no loss for her she got cash rent. I am hoping with more work I can make it yield at least 130 bushel, it's just taking some building up after so many years of no fertilizer or anything. Anyway, I gave her a written lease lease the first year putting in what she wanted. Same lease again for the next year, didn't get it signed until April last year. I told her we needed to take care of it early so I could plan better, so I gave her a written lease in November. I added some extras in I would do, buying and installing some needed parts on the pivot and such, and made it a three year lease. Of course she never gets around to doing anything, even though she drives by our place twice a day I only talk to her when I call. Oddly she would stop right away when the rent was due... Finally talked to her in person the other day and she thinks hay is going to get high priced and she wants to plant millet of all horrible things to hay. I told her that it's kinda late now after she told me I would have it again last year, and millet doesn't do crap here for hay, and that we are tearing up 50 acres of hay that yields well because the price of hay is too low and we need the rotation ground. Besides which, the hay they buy is never any good, they buy the cheapest junk they can find. So I know with the price she pays for hay, and how well their own hay yields when they never fertilize it that the rent I am paying her is better than them dragging equipment across town to try and make hay.

So what do I do now? I have seed and everything all booked, beet fieldman wants to sign acre contracts. I told her to go figure what she needs for hay, but I know from talking with her before she never remembers to figure the cost of production into the hay. I was expecting her to ask for higher cash rent, which would make way more sense than putting a worthless crop like millet in for hay. I told her maybe we could go up on rent some if needed, but I hate to go up much, it's a gravel pit. Literally, there is a gravel pit right outside the field where the local cement plant runs, you can tell that runs under the entire field. We barely turned the pivot off all summer. That's another reason her hay was crap, they just never water it enough.

Sorry to write a book, it's just really frustrating dealing with people like this. Ground is too hard to come by here with all the feedlots buying so much. I know I left some fertility there this year with the corn getting hailed out, I think this year I could finally get a good crop off it. Of course I think maybe she realized that and is thinking I have prefertilized for her to actually make a hay crop for once.

Recommendations, thoughts?

Edited by nar 3/7/2010 22:53
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)