AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What is a "300 cummins"
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

redhunter
Posted 1/8/2021 23:12 (#8735457)
Subject: What is a "300 cummins"

Owensville, MO
Sitting here telling my kids stories of my childhood and realized there is a piece of information that I don't know for sure and my OCD will not let me sleep until I find an answer. When I was a kid my dad was a full time truck driver so I was naturally drawn to learn about them and always asked questions about specs and such even though I really didn't understand what the answers I was given really meant. Back then engines where only referred to by Hp so I only knew them as 400 cat or "4 and a quarter cat". The cummins engines were 350 or 400 in the big trucks and 290's mostly in the freight trucks. Dad drove for a local freight company running casual inside the state. Late 70's and early 80's they ran Louisville trucks with 290 cummins in them. He always talked about one time they got a group of new trucks in that had the 300 cummins in them and they "really ran".
He also drove weekend nights for a local concrete plant running to Hannibal and back hauling bulk cement, They Had a couple of International trucks, one with a 300 cummins and one with a 400 cummins. I used to ride along on those trips with him and the 400 sure had no problem walking the dog on the 300. My memory wants to say these were 4300 models???
15 to 18 years ago my brother had a Ford L9000 dump truck with a 300 cummins in it. I know now the cat motors were the 3406. 350 and 400 cummins was an 855. I believe the 290 cummins was the L10??? So what actual engine was the "300 Cummins"? Was it a higher hp L10 or a low hp 855 or maybe a different block all together???? Maybe there were several different engines with 300 hp ratings and they all got called a 300 cummins???
I know there are lot's of very knowledgeable fellas here on the big trucks so break it down and give me the details.

Thanks guys

Joe
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)