AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Pelvic measuring heifers?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

oldtiger
Posted 3/22/2019 08:16 (#7394880 - in reply to #7394613)
Subject: RE: Pelvic measuring heifers?

NEMO
Wrong answer Gomer. What you fail to see in these posts, is some guys DO argue that. You ARE correct,,,it is lowly heritable,,,and while generally correlated to cow size,,those two aren't exactly walking in lock step. Lowly heritable doesn't mean won't happen,,it means it's not likely to happen. I haven't forgot the tract score,,,did you even read any of my posts? Here,,,let me break it down further for you since we're looking at it from 2 different perspectives. You're in SD,big cow country. I'm in MO, where the vast majority of cow numbers are guys with 20 cows. This nice fella with 20 cows, often has a job in town and wants cows because they relax him. He may buy his replacements out of a good cut feeder hfs at the salebarn. He can't pull a calf,and probably couldn't catch the hf in an emergency. His bull,,well it's what he could find cheap, and who knows what the BW is. What you are saying in a large herd situation, with a guy that knows cows and knows genetics about tract sizes standardizing is pretty much right. I'm trying to give advice to guys to keep them out of a bad situation. If that means he screens one little bitty pelvis every second or third year, it's probably good.....If you want to argue with me because you don't like me,,just say it,there's no arguing with the logic of doing it in some circumstances. If you don't want to do it,,,,I COULDN'T CARE LESS. I'm going to keep on, because we always catch some with no tracts, and usually have a one or two that a calf will never come through. Condescending is wrong, here again inflection get's lost in the posts,,,if you think I am, just don't care

Edited by oldtiger 3/22/2019 08:26
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)