AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

firing employee
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

matterhan
Posted 2/5/2019 12:27 (#7298582 - in reply to #7298484)
Subject: RE: firing employee

Mount Upton NY
moobeast - 2/5/2019 11:42

Anyone ever feel bad for firing someone, even though you had reason? I just let go of a young guy, been with us 15 months. He was ok, nothing great. Sometimes
reliability was an issue; couple days a month would ask for next day off, overslept 3/4 days a month ( was on milking crew, pretty hard to cover at the last minute).
Managed to crash his own truck, then wrecked a little car he got for the gas mileage (45 minute one way trip to get to work), loaned him an old farm truck, he put that in ditch to the tune of $750; and I was paying him more than I felt he was probably worth, because he drove so far to get to work. Finally, the other guys on the crew didn't care for him much; stood around on his phone alot, didn't offer to help with extra work. Not good to have 3 guys that work well together and a 4th that they don't like. I just hired a new guy that I think will fit in well, has mechanical aptitude, and lives 5 minutes away. I know it was the right time and feel it was the right thing to do, but now I'm feeling a little regret. Guy was upset, I thought he may cry. I gave him his final check, 10 days severance pay, forgave the money for fixing the truck, and gave him a list of half a dozen decent farms that may need someone, all of them a lot closer to him than we are. It's been a long time since I've fired anyone, the last guy I fired I was happy as hell to get rid of. I guess I need bigger things to worry about.

He committed several fire-able offenses. You'll be happier without him. We always are after we get over the initial dread of dealing with the act of firing. After we fired our last milker his entire shift was giddy the next day. Hopefully you didn't send him here.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)