AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

It's all true, folks....accidents happen quickly
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Mrs B
Posted 10/24/2018 06:45 (#7062177)
Subject: It's all true, folks....accidents happen quickly

Highland Center, in Southeast Iowa

I have pics, but don't think I'll post them, as they are pretty darn gnarly.

Hubs was switching bins for beans, and setting the conveyor to the new bin. Had it set and checked the inside of the bin and when he came back around the end of the conveyor, it was making a funky noise. He thought it'd probably thrown a rock from the road onto the end of the belt when he was transporting it from the other farm, and the rock was on the brace that holds the roller at the bottom of the run. 

Soooooooooo.....he reaches in to brush the rock off the brace. Yep.....roller at the end of the run grabbed his glove and pulled his hand into the mechanism. Of course, he's there by himself, and the belt is still running. 

His phone was in his shirt pocket, so he was able to call, but due to his Essential Tremor and an overload of adrenaline, he couldn't dial our son successfully for several tries. By the time our son got there to shut off the PTO, eventually getting the torch to cut the bottom brace out to free his dad's hand, he'd been in there about 20-30 minutes.

The belt had been running against the outside surface of his right hand until the PTO was off, and abraded away a lot of tissue, etc. He's at the U of I hospitals now, had one surgery yesterday about 1AM and will have another tomorrow to clean and debride the wound. Will be in the hospital till at least the weekend, and then will have reconstructive surgery on his wrist at a later date. Gonna be a long recovery, but we're so thankful that he still has the hand and his fingers all work correctly. That's pretty surprising for the damage that was done. 

So, again, I'll preach to the choir.........please be careful out there, folks. You all are precious to someone, so don't do the things that you know you shouldn't do to just save a minute. 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)