AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Another Cochlear Implant update
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

soya257
Posted 10/11/2018 19:49 (#7041247)
Subject: Another Cochlear Implant update

Went today for the second meeting with the Audiologist for some more tune-ups and it went very well.
I was telling her how I was hearing better already and she adjusted so that I was happy with the volume and the different notes or tunes.
Told her I needed the volume up way more so that it was as loud as the noise in my head and equal to my hearing aid, so between me telling her and her adjusting them it seemed pretty good.
So for the test she was saying numbers and I got one half wrong said 5 or 9 and it was nine, then on to sentences and I got them all right.
She looked very shock and excited that I did so well and I was going to go down next week for another appointment and now I don't need to go till the middle of Nov.
I am hearing what people say that I couldn't understand for the last 9 months or more.
She was saying that ones that was born deaf and well into their adulthood , the implant wouldn't likely work because that part of the brain for hearing is being used for there other senses.
Guess the last 8 years of me trying to keep learning the sounds again that I was losing all time with them changing the hearing aids steady till I went deaf might be a benefit to my hearing with an implant(that is only my opinion though), which I never asked her.
I still have big problems in the crowded places , but being only 8 days for my implant I'm happy and consider myself one lucky guy and blessed for hearing again.
She was also saying that everyone is different and there is no guarantee what you will hear in the end, as there is people taking up to 6 months getting to where I am at under standing people.
I had a rough time in the last 30+ days, but it is looking more positive all the time an she told me at the time I had nothing to lose by having the operation and everything to gain.
I would recommend it to anyone that is told that an implant would help them , so they can get back to a better life.
Also I do not feel as tired the last few days, because I'm not straining nearly as hard just to try and make out the words.
I hope this helps someone with making their mind up on deciding to get it done.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)