AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Preg check day
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

oldtiger
Posted 8/26/2018 18:45 (#6952020 - in reply to #6951804)
Subject: RE: Preg check day

NEMO
Jim, to answer your question, here's what we've gleaned over the last few years with ultrasound. First, even though ultrasound is MUCH more accurate than a regular palpation, they will still have some miss rate, although I'd put it in the 1% range or less. Also ultrasound will pick up most twins, a huge bonus at calving time. Our vet likes to use 90 days as a cutoff if possible with ultrasound, that way he can easily step them out 90, 70+/-, 45-50+/-. He has on several occasions gone out to 110 when we couldn't get cows caught or he couldn't schedule, and he has done a good job. It just makes it a little harder to tell on some if it is a smaller AI fetus or a larger bull bred. I don't think many vets will get that close on a straight palp, but be able to call bred or not,,,thus the like of ultrasound especially with younger vets. My older vet, said he didn't want to go to the expense of buying ultrasound, and would never call a bred if not at least stage 2 (a good part of the reason for the switch in vets about 5 years ago). I would think even with you, that you would like ultrasound just from a knowing kind of more definitely when the calves are coming out of which cows,,,,I know, your cows do it by themselves and do a great job, but it's handy sometimes to have a heads up about how many cows are getting close when. Not sure I would call you exactly a novice, but your humble approach is refreshing

Edited by oldtiger 8/26/2018 20:42
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)