AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Triticale and winter grazing help!?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Hkfarms
Posted 8/24/2018 12:07 (#6947661)
Subject: Triticale and winter grazing help!?

South West Kansas
Last year I planted 180 acres of trical 135 triticale, half on sept 16th and half on the the 23rd. Came up great and we had a warm fall. It got about 20 inches big before I got the cattle on it... grazed it down pretty hard and it stayed dry through the fall and winter. I watered half of it in late November... come spring green up it all had 95% winter killer... I was not happy... I had a strip of wheat drilled in the middle of the trit and it survived just fine. So what gives... what’s the trick to not letting this stuff winterkill... I still have 60 acers of seed I need to Use this year left over from last year... I’m goin to to drill 3 pivots worth after the corn comes off this year... I’m considering using rye instead... or even wheat. Should I use a blend? Or maybe plant one to rye and turnips early and wait and plant my trit later so it will have better winter survival ability? ... not having any spring grazing in a stocker cattle program sucked.... I need the experts opinion... fire away.... thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)