AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Haylage vs. Balage
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

FiveMFarms
Posted 8/5/2018 19:04 (#6912812)
Subject: Haylage vs. Balage

Northeast Iowa
Hello all! I have been a member on here for a few years but haven’t posted or commented much. We operate a 200 cow dairy in northeast Iowa. We have chopped and bagged our corn and hay for the last 20 years. We expanded our herd in 2014. Since then we have hired our corn silage chopped. It sucks paying the bill, but our farm is all terraced and is just to hard to chop with a pull type machine. Labor also a big issue. We have continued to chop and bag all our hay. We have a New Holland FP 230, 4 chopper wagons in good condition, and a 10 ft ag bagger. The chopper needs to be upgraded. My chopping crew basically consists of myself and my 2 sons age 12 and 14. My dad also helps as need. I have 1 full time employee that also helps between chores. I have looked into hiring the hay custom done, but honestly I can’t afford to hire it done. I am considering trading the chopper off for a chopping round baler. Maybe trading the wagons for a wrapper. Adding another bale wagon. I have a tractor and loader and skid loader. I have tried a few of the bales and they mix very well and break up quickly in my TMR. Has anyone else gone this route?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)