AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Short on hay, failed corn crop
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

pacowman970
Posted 7/28/2018 19:36 (#6898244 - in reply to #6897060)
Subject: RE: Short on hay, failed corn crop

central pa
We have baled corn fodder to feed cows on a short hay year with our Hesston 4755 . We did it after the combine. Ran the flail stalk shredder and left them lay out until dry. The rake with a rollabar rake or maybe a rotary rake. A ground drive wheel rake would be out of the question for me. Get way to much ground on the stalks while raking. Could pose a problem with field quality and can cause fits with the baler.

I did some custom work a few years ago and the guys ran v-wheel rakes. The stalks weren't chopped so they were long and picked up ALOT of ground. The stalks and ground kept building up in the bottom corners of the bale chamber and I would overload the baler. That was the only custom job I ever pulled out of before it was finished. After I dug the baler out 3 times by hand I told those boys they had to find someone else, I was done. The long stalks also give the knotter troubles. Pieces get wedged in places and you will have missed ties. Not really a big deal. Just be expecting it depending on how fine you get them shredded.

I would say if you can rotary mow them or get your hands on a flail shredder would be your best bet. I'd push the pencil pretty hard before I would pay someone to chop and haul corn that was a fail and had no grain. Might be just as far ahead to buy some hay and disk that corn down and try to get a forage crop growing. That will most likely need chopped or tubed if you bale it. But would be some good feed.

As said above I would test for nitrates first. May now be high enough to cause nitrate poisoning but can cause abortions and be very costly.

I also bale wet hay 35-60% with our 4755 and wrap it. It works, just don't push it. If I was going to bale the stalks green I would pay someone to abuse their round baler. The cost savings in plastic will pay for half the baling compared to wrapping squares.

Edited by pacowman970 7/28/2018 20:02
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)