AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

opportunity lies with others failures......
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

mojave
Posted 6/28/2018 14:45 (#6839258 - in reply to #6839173)
Subject: RE: opportunity lies with others failures......

NE SD
This has been my problem the last three years I get good forward sales on in beans because I can get at or above my breakeven. Corn I have missed even selling the rest of old crop during may-june seasonal rally because we only got within pennies of the orders i had in with the elevators and i was not quick enough to realize the rally was over. 2016 corn sold in 2017 was a disaster. rolled basis contracts all the way to dec...sold a penny above the low bought the board back but after i made .20 a bushel i took the money and moved on. All that to say i can't blame anyone but myself even though the last few years have been very difficult to sell corn for a profit. I'm basically trying to pick the high....which is all but impossible. So i hear white shadow loud and clear...a guy has to get those first sales on up to a good percentage of your crop. its not that you can play with the rest its that if you don't get some sales on it will make your life miserable until the next seasonal rally and your banker is going to question your compentency. For example, This year i thought i had corn dialed in...I'd sell in June-July at 4.10 july and 4.24 dec. However, i pulled my orders because we were approaching those prices in may. it was hot. If the price is good in may its gotta better in june right? Trumps tweets were even telling me the tarriff threat might turn into something, etc. The point is some portion of your marketing plan has to be on auto pilot. Put the orders in and let them hit and forget about it. You will thank yourself almost every year come late July-Dec.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)