AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What are you doing May 17? Why not go to Dayton OH?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Robert W Greif
Posted 5/8/2018 23:14 (#6750986 - in reply to #6750568)
Subject: RE: What are you doing May 17? Why not go to Dayton OH?

Dallas Center IA 515-720-2463
The Air Force Museum is a great place to visit. I have been there twice.

Long time first AgOnline, then NAT poster Ed Winkle died in early 2015. I had had online discussions with Ed, e-mails between us and a few telephone chats.
But never was able to meet him.

Mrs Winkle had an estate sale set for early November of 2015. I was going to go. And soon realized I would be close to Dayton Ohio, the home of the Air Force Museum.

So I headed east. Plans were to get to Dayton on Wednesday, do the museum Thursday. Then Friday a short drive southeast of Dayton to the Winkle sale.
And if I wanted more time at the museum go back Saturday.

Spent the full day at the museum. I did go back to the motel about noon for a rest. But the afternoon session lasted until about closing.
Took about 300 pictures.

Two things. It is a little on the chilly side in the buildings. Maybe not for some of you, but it was for me.
And the light is not the brightest.

Anyway a lot of my pictures were not the best. And no pictures of many items I really would like to have pictures of.

So I decided to go back in 2016. The same time of year, November. Like the 2015 visit there was a second reason for this trip. Riding the ferries on the lower Illinois and Mississippi Rivers.

Also the plan was at least two days. And a hotel room review of the pictures taken.
If the shot was not the best, put on a list for re-shoot. Also check to see if I had pictures of all I wanted.

It worked, much better pictures this time. Several hundred - Film is cheap. There are still some items I wish I had more or better pictures of = Good reason for visit #3.

Also most of my interest is the World War II stuff. But there is much more.
Early flight, World War I, Cold War, the space program, and Presidential aircraft.
I was inches away from the spot where LBJ, with Jackie Kennedy on one side, Lady Bird on the other, took the oath of office in Dallas.

Pictures:
Top picture - There are several with the present B-17 in view. But none close in to the front. This is one of the side from aways away.

Picture #2- A closeup of the tail guns of the B-17

Picture #3- I am a firm believer that the B-24 was a better airplane that the B-17. This is a one of the ‘Strawberry Bitch’, pretty sure the only B-24D left. There are many of the later model B-24.
You can get right up close to the B-24, really see it good.

Picture #4- Many of you have heard of the ‘Lady Be Good’, a B-24 that became lost, flew past it’s base and crashed in the Liberian desert. The aircraft was found in the late 1950s. Then the bodies of most of the crew.
This is one of the engines from the Lady Be Good.

Last picture- I admit about mid afternoon of my first day, my legs had about had it.
Really thinking the one day was about all I could handle. Maybe I would do a good review of pictures. Then if there was a real important one I just had to have, return in the morning.
Just did not think my legs could handle another full day.

Then I discovered the electric wheel chairs. And I got out my credit card. But they are free of charge. Was not asked to, but I did make a cash donation of about what a scooter rental is at the Clay County Fair.
So the rest of day one and all of day two, I was on wheels. A place to sit down. A place to put your stuff, besides carry it.
Just park it and get off and take a closer look when you wanted.

(A15 (full).JPG)

(A10 (full).JPG)

(B10 (full).JPG)

(B15 (full).JPG)

(W10 (full).JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments A15 (full).JPG (85KB - 59 downloads)
Attachments A10 (full).JPG (85KB - 34 downloads)
Attachments B10 (full).JPG (85KB - 31 downloads)
Attachments B15 (full).JPG (111KB - 52 downloads)
Attachments W10 (full).JPG (88KB - 31 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)