AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

retire in a cold place, I think not
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Chris
Posted 4/27/2018 07:37 (#6732820)
Subject: retire in a cold place, I think not

East central Iowa

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/personalfinance/2018/04/26/best-us-cities-older-americans-retire/550108002/

I looked through these and they pretty much are all in places where the snow falls.  I would have thought that there would be better places for elderly where they could get out more all year long.  I have a friend living in Bartow, FL and this winter he was able to get out all the time. Had he stayed up here he'd have been housebound as he's in a wheelchair.  He can't walk and has extremely limited ability to move his hands.  While this might not be the case for a lot of elderly, many of them have balance problems or bad knees etc.  Ice and snow are not your friend.

Anyway I thought there'd be places that were warm and sunny.  And places such as Ames may have some pluses but having been there a lot I'd say the major plus is Hickory Park.  After that there isn't much for seniors that I know of and it's got plenty of snow in winter.  Same for Rochester, I didn't find any super inducement there to overcome the weather.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)