AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Fire Update.......
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

tmrand
Posted 4/20/2018 01:56 (#6720663 - in reply to #6718811)
Subject: Another update.

Southeast Colorado
Another busy day in the aftermath. This damn corn deal is kicking our butt. Pretty sure we'll win but am not positive. We've pumped quite a bit of water into the edges along with digging the blackened stuff out and new smoldering flare ups keep appearing. Local elevator is willing to take it and blend it off to help us out but not until the fire is out. Rain coming in supposedly tomorrow and I guess we'll see what happens. May have to let it get wetter and then see what we have. Local coop will also help us with tarps if that still is on the table tomorrow. I see there is a steady 40 mph wind for the next 24 hours so that should really help! LOL There is no insurance I'm aware of on this corn so I can't help but be worried. Neighbors are helping me sort through this but not sure how this will play out.

I hate that it is occupying so much time when other things need to be happening. Another really good neighbor showed up to gather some of our wandering calves and haul them to the sale barn tomorrow. Wouldn't you know they had disappeared?? We were able to finally locate them over in the edge of KS tonight and got them penned up and ready for transport tomorrow morning. Glad to have that deal about over. Also had some folks come in and feed our cow herd because all of their pasture burned up. We've actually got a little bit of irrigated wheat that we can turn them into as soon as we rectify this corn problem.

The power company kicked butt and got our electricity on today! Unbelievably hard working folks and with their equipment............ can make what seems impossible happen in mere hours. We have a few burned out electric meters that we'll have to fix but that's on our side and we'll deal with it when we can. At least the power and water is on in our house.

Haven't had much sleep but for some reason I'm not tired anyway. Exhausted.............but not tired. Weird huh? Never have had so many things going on to juggle at once. Feeding and watering cattle..............with no feed or water. Watching all of your collateral turn to dust and wondering how the bills will be paid?? Pondering why your "former city girl" wife ever signed up for this? (She's had a couple of melt downs but is handling it really better than anyone can imagine) The list goes on and on. Yet somehow being able to realize that it can all disappear tomorrow and............so what?? We've still got our health and we can move one. I've realized for a long time that life is about attitude and vow to not let this set back get me down.

I want to end this with telling you folks how much I really appreciate you. I don't watch the email close but my wife has shown me several personal messages that you have sent. Your outpouring of support really keeps us going. It is so strange to drive a few miles around a corner and find areas that are not affected at all. Here you are living an almost surreal moment in time and realize it's just another day for most folks. Funny thing is........... I'm not complaining at all and want them to go on living their lives. I think I'm understanding it more every day. God only puts on you what you can handle and I maybe needed this test. You folks are walking me through this a day at a time and I truly am grateful. I get to read these posts late at night and early the next morning. It ends my day right and starts the next day off with the will power I need. Thank y'all very much!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)