AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Making your farm profitable
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

BigcCharlie740
Posted 10/18/2017 21:05 (#6315358 - in reply to #6314185)
Subject: RE: Making your farm profitable

West Central Iowa
Jackrabbit - 10/18/2017 06:56

I am not a fan of most of these answers.

My answer is: "I have a passion for what I do and I pay attention to the details".

You need to love what you do to be successful. I can look at a lot of my neighbors and it seems like they don't even enjoy farming. They do a poor job just to get it done or they hire it done. It's just about covering acres for a lot of guys.

Do everything yourself cheaper and better.

My goal is to not be a coop customer. Everything they have to offer costs money. $.20 less basis. High spreading and spraying costs, do a poor job, and even higher chem and fert costs. Not to mention the VERY generic agronomic advise you will receive. I can make a pretty good argument that being a coop customer can cost close to $100 per acre for me.

Edit: After I posted I saw BigCorn's post and reminded me that the most important thing I do is manage resources. Land, labor, and capital. Sounds simple but almost every decision comes back to those three things.

passion doesn't pay bills though, Money does...I love what I do to, but doing it financially smart. not criticizing your post just a thought
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)