AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tillage Raishes-give me more info
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Scott (OSU)
Posted 11/30/2008 19:49 (#520144)
Subject: Tillage Raishes-give me more info

Dalton, OH
I did some searching and found out quite a bit on this site and I also went to tillageradish.com. Leon Bird has been telling me about these for a few years and I would really like to try them. I have some questions. First, currently don't grow any wheat or other summer harvested crops besides hay. I have some ground that would really benefit from the radishes, currently in the 2nd year of no-till, heavy, not well drained, but usually dry in the fall, was compacted before I farmed the ground. I haven't been able to pencil out wheat in my crop rotation for a profit and its going to take me an extra year until I would see the benfits from the radishes. On my ground in central Ohio, two week longer growing season, could a person plant shorter season beans, harvest them early in September, 5-15th, and still get the benfits from radishes? Can I just broadcast them on with a fertilizer spreader or one of those smaller 3pt spreaders that has a wand on it or do I need to drill them in or run over them with a Phoenix Harrow? How much N? Leon is saying 40 to 50 lbs and you will get it back with interest on the corn. Can I put urea with the seed and spread it all at once with the spreader? All these seeding questions would apply to after wheat also. Sorry for all of the questions, but it seems to make a lot of sense on my farm since I'm trying to be 100% no-till except for the hay.

Thanks and I'm sure I will have many more questions to come!!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)