AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How late will you try to make dry hay?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

jcolli140
Posted 9/8/2017 15:29 (#6236448)
Subject: How late will you try to make dry hay?

SC Wisconsin
Between breakdowns and rain, I got way behind on hay this year and have 3rd cutting growing now. The first 2 cuttings were more bales than I made all of last year, and I got them all up with only a little rain on them so I will be set if I don't do third crop. With it cooling off now it is obviously going to be harder to get stuff dry, and I work second shift 6 days a week so I'm trying to decide if I should even worry about third and or just out stuff away for the year and call it good. I already burned up most of my vacation for the year making the first 2 crops so that option is kind of out the window too. I have kind of a broad variety of straight grass all the way to almost pure alfalfa, some is bought out of the field on a per bale basis and some is put up on shares. The stuff on shares I would obviously need to ask his opinion before making a decision. Would like to hear others opinions on this to help me make up my mind.

Edited to add, I was just looking at the forecast, next week is supposed to be in the upper 70's, so cutting it early is also an option as we should have a good month or better until the first frost.

Edited by jcolli140 9/8/2017 20:05
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)