AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Controlling Hydraulic SCV via CAN 11783
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 3/25/2017 08:39 (#5921341 - in reply to #5919713)
Subject: RE: Controlling Hydraulic SCV via CAN 11783

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
rideljf - 3/24/2017 11:49

Anybody work on solutions for this recently? I'm trying to connect to my tractor canbus with Arduino boards but this is not that simple!

I did some playing with Arduino over winter. I really didn't get into it that far but I have some "ideas" for doing somethings beside flashing LEDs etc.

As mentioned above I have already cut the wires leading to one of the SCVs on the 8310 and replaced them with a two pole WeatherPak pair. When connected back together the system behaves as original. When disconnected, the valve end was connected to the PWM outputs of a Raven 450. This worked but the tractor threw error messages since it "knew" it was no longer in charge of the SCV. I've been told that putting a resistor of the appropriate value across the two leads within a dust cap will silence the tractor error message.

Taking this one step further, it might be possible to use the PWM outputs of the Arduino to control the SCV. This might require the use of one of the many inline PWM amplifiers that are available. I doubt if the output from the Arduino could handle the current requirements of the SCV. Then the Arudino might be able to control the SCV. A simple example might be to use a "Pot" as an input to the Arduino to control the PWM output of the Arduino. I did get that far in my Arudino experimentation. The sketch could get more complex based on other inputs.

Thinking out loud, this might be expandable to controlling several SCVs from the Arduino. Other more sophisticated inputs might be used. This would be less invasive than actually using the tractor CAN bus and dealing with their messages and structure.

Edited by tedbear 3/25/2017 08:41
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)