AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Just a reminder to be cautious while using NH3!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Tallgrass
Posted 3/24/2017 04:19 (#5918822 - in reply to #5918748)
Subject: RE: Just a reminder to be cautious while using NH3!

NC Iowa

DestinedforDiesel - 3/23/2017 23:12 Maybe it's overkill but I run like Forrest Gump if nh3 starts leaking much. I usually try to always shut it off before messing with it. The worst I've had doing it this way was when I forgot to hitch the applicator but the hose was hooked up. I was tired and just a stupid mistake. The quick disconnect worked but I failed to get all the nh3 out of the line before trying to reconnect and I ended up with high pressure nh3 from what was left in the line straight to the hands and face. I didn't get frost bite but it felt close. I did have some blistering on the hand and my eyes hurt for awhile.

I do the same, first thing I hear or smell out of the ordinary I take off running.  I'd much rather sort it out from 50+ feet away than take another hit of NH3.  Not worth it!  I bought a face mask as well, no it doesn't make me bullet proof, but I find a little comfort in knowing that if the worst were to happen the mask might give me that extra second or two for my eyes to point my body in the direction of an escape path or to a rinse tank.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)